Christians in the Public Square
Scott Self and Cole Bennett discuss topics and issues related to Christianity, citizenship, and brotherhood. We hold extremely different views on the relationship between the state and the economy; but we share a deep and abiding love and admiration for each other, and whomever wanders into the studio with us. Search for us on all of the podcasting platforms (Apple, Spotify, Overcast, etc.), or check out the most recent episodes below!
The Three Tenets
At the beginning of each episode, you’ll hear us rehearse the three rules that define our podcast. The podcast “The Partially Examined Life” is due proper credit for the idea of three rules.
- Sacred cows make great barbecue – We will scoff at orthodoxy whenever we please.
- Let your flag fly proudly – We will argue vigorously for our points of view.
- Bros before politicos – We are brothers first, and everything else is just details.
- Scott and Cole discuss health care, the implications of COVID-19 on the discussion, and Scott's believe that there is a "right to life and living." Links: "Citizens who lost health […]
- This is the first of a new feature on CP-Square called "The Speaker's Corner." These episodes are short audio essays. Cole and I will be sharing these from time to […]
- Scott and Cole unpack the last couple of episodes. Scott is a little worried that Cole has taken a lickin' – Cole keeps on tickin'. Contact Us: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: […]
- Cheryl Bacon returns to talk about vetting sources and choosing to carefully curate what news she shares on social media. Contact Us: Email: email@example.com Twitter: @cp_square Dr. Self's Website: jscottself.com […]
- Bobby Ross, editor in chief at The Christian Chronicle, joins Scott and Cole to talk about the intersection of faith, journalism, and citizenship. Links: Bobby Ross, Editor-in-Chief at The Christian […]
- Scott and Cole discuss the Christian response to the COVID-19 pandemic, with special attention to Christian discourse during periods of crisis. Contact Us: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @cp_square Dr. Self's Website: […]
- Wake up – Season 2 starts with new intro music and a couple of fellas who are suspicious of each others' coughs. Scott and Cole discuss the 2 trillion dollar […]
- Scott and Cole discuss Bloom's work "Against Empathy" which asserts that empathy is ruining the world. Scott is getting upset. This is the end of Season 1, so we'll take […]
- Scott and Cole are joined by Darryl Tippens to discuss the historical Christian roots of human rights and human dignity. Darryl ultimately makes the point that Judeo-Christian traditions have shaped […]
- Scott and Cole discuss an article in the New York Times by Timothy Keller. Keller's thesis was: "While believers can register under a party affiliation and be active in politics, […]