Christians in the Public Square
Scott Self and Cole Bennett discuss topics and issues related to Christianity, citizenship, and brotherhood. We hold extremely different views on the relationship between the state and the economy; but we share a deep and abiding love and admiration for each other, and whomever wanders into the studio with us. Search for us on all of the podcasting platforms (Apple, Spotify, Overcast, etc.), or check out the most recent episodes below!
The Three Tenets
At the beginning of each episode, you’ll hear us rehearse the three rules that define our podcast. The podcast “The Partially Examined Life” is due proper credit for the idea of three rules.
- Sacred cows make great barbecue – We will scoff at orthodoxy whenever we please.
- Let your flag fly proudly – We will argue vigorously for our points of view.
- Bros before politicos – We are brothers first, and everything else is just details.
- Scott and Cole discuss Bloom's work "Against Empathy" which asserts that empathy is ruining the world. Scott is getting upset. This is the end of Season 1, so we'll take […]
- Scott and Cole are joined by Darryl Tippens to discuss the historical Christian roots of human rights and human dignity. Darryl ultimately makes the point that Judeo-Christian traditions have shaped […]
- Scott and Cole discuss an article in the New York Times by Timothy Keller. Keller's thesis was: "While believers can register under a party affiliation and be active in politics, […]
- Scott and Cole planned to respond to feedback from several listeners but only got to one. The question was, "What makes a statesman (which is the kind of leader we […]
- Cole and Scott challenge each other on some things they have let slide so far in the podcast. Cole defends his explanation of the relationship between his faith and his […]
- Cole and Scott are joined by F. LaGard Smith. This interview was edited into two parts in post-production. In Part 2, we discuss the relationship between law and morality, and […]
- Cole and Scott are joined by F. LaGard Smith. This interview was edited into two parts in post-production. In Part 1, we discuss The First Amendment and Natural Law. Links: […]
- Scott and Cole talk about whether we expect leaders to be honest (or have other virtues). Links: "‘I have no obligation to be honest to the media,’ former Trump campaign […]
- Scott and Cole are joined by guest Bart Herridge. We discuss some of the arguments of whether 'diversity" is a virtue, and the challenges of thinking about issues of diversity […]
- Scott and Cole record their podcast live in Dr. Jon Camp's "Civil Discourse" class at Abilene Christian University, where they discuss Kling's model for "The Three Languages of Politics." Kling's […]