A podcast for doctoral students and those who love them
If it were easy, everyone would be doing it … but it’s not. Earning a doctorate taps several skills and abilities: some of which rarely get talked about in public. Doc101 is a podcast for doctoral students, with particular attention to some of the “soft skills” necessary to earn one’s degree. Search for us on all of the podcasting platforms (Apple, Spotify, Overcast, etc.), or check out the most recent episodes below!
- J. Scott Self, Ph.D. – Assistant Professor, School of Educational Leadership. Abilene Christian University.
- Linnea Rademaker, Ph.D. – Professor, School of Educational Leadership. Abilene Christian University
- Peter Williams, Ph.D. – Professor, School of Educational Leadership. Abilene Christian University
- We discuss the relationship between theory and research design. This is part 2 of the conversation from last episode. Contact Us: Email: Dr. J. Scott Self Email: Dr. Linnea Rademaker […]
- We discuss the relationship between theory and research design. This conversation ran very long, so we split it into two episodes. 23b will be the other side of this conversation. […]
- We discuss the role of theory in inquiry and how best to understand the ways that we use theory to understand the world around us. Links and Notes: Bacharach, S. […]
- We discuss what it means to be a self-directed learner and the real challenges of shifting from a person who is being taught to a person who is teaching themselves. […]
- We discuss the role of being an expert in the public square – and at the holiday table – and some of the responsibilities and considerations of developing expertise in […]
- We discuss the challenge of synthesizing feedback, especially in a context where there are no right or wrong answers. Understanding feedback as discussion and discovery is a valuable posture to […]
- We discuss the challenge of communicating scholarship in ways that are accessible to a larger audience. Contact Us: Email: Dr. J. Scott Self Email: Dr. Linnea Rademaker Email: Dr. Peter […]
- We discuss the ways in which job opportunities come to new docs, and how we find and curate our work. Contact Us: Email: Dr. J. Scott Self Email: Dr. Linnea […]
- We discuss the value of learning to live in a place of cognitive dissonance, and how doc students experience the development of this skill. Links and Notes: "Not by Chance […]
- Larry Machi joins us to discuss the literature review, and recommends ways of approaching the literature review in terms of a practice of critical thinking. Literature reviews are often treated […]